Wednesday, 31 May 2017

How To Survive Querying


Querying is sending an enticing blurb to a prospective agent/publisher in hopes they'll request the rest of your manuscript.

It's also a lot like being at a high school dance wishing the cute guy on the other side of the gym would notice you.


pinterest.com

I have to confess, I love querying. Every time I hit that send button I get an endorphin release. Seriously. I'm so full of anticipation I actually write the query before I've finished the book.

BUT I NEVER QUERY BEFORE THE MANUSCRIPT IS SUPER FANTASTIC AND REALLY, REALLY AWESOME.

Ahem...

However, sending out a lot of queries also means a lot of waiting (boring) and a lot of rejections (boo). I've discovered it's more fun to dream while I wait.

Here are the top five things that help me survive querying

1. Instead of waiting for agent news or a book deal to celebrate, treat yourself each time you get a rejection. It doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate, just enough to make you smile.

2. When you're reading the latest deals in Publishers Marketplace, remember all of those success stories were years in the making. Did you hear that? YEARS.

3. Keep writing. It helps distract you from the first book, and it may end up being your favourite story. Plus, when your new agent/publisher asks what you're working on now, you'll have an answer! 

4. Step away from the computer. Engage in the life around you. Family and friends are the best balm after a rejection and they're a reminder your happiness shouldn't only be determined by your writing successes.

5. Cupcakes. See number 1.

Bonus. DREAM BIG!

So hold the shampoo bottle while reciting your Oscar speech for 'Best Screen Play' in the shower. 

Create a Pinterest board with actors who will star in the movie adaptation of your book.

Smile secretly when the guy at Starbucks looks exactly like your MC's love interest.

And always, ALWAYS pick up the lucky penny you see on the sidewalk.

Consider New Radicals, "You Get What You Give", substitute 'music' with 'stories' you've got the perfect writer's anthem.




Psst...learn how to write an amazing query here!
What are some tips that help you survive querying?


10 comments:

  1. Ha! Love the photo--querying is exactly like that. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I actually wish I had those dresses.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the smiles. Loved your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I already have the actors picked out for my next book's movie adaptation....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally counts as research, Jean. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. Cupcakes! Yes! Claire Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with cupcakes!

      Delete
  5. Your thoughts on querying are bang on. It's always a roller coaster of emotions when I receive a response to a query. Rather than cupcakes, I lean on a glass of red wine. Sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine. Yes, always a good choice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...